Hello all,

Its been a few months since ive posted, or even worked on my rig for that matter. But the the holidays have passed and we are coming into some good shade tree mechanic weather, so its time to focus and get back on track.

To bring everyone up to speed on my rig, its an 86' winnebago itasca, 22re, 4spd auto. Since i bought it last summer most of the work ive done has been concentrated on the motor, troubleshooting efi, exaust leaks, etc. Its not running tip top, and there are a few more things that id like to address under the hood, but i do feel its more reliable than when i bought it and i would feel safe taking it out a little ways. With all that said ill move on to the topic at hand, leaf spring bushings.

My leaf spring bushing are shot. The rubber is hanging out of the leaf spring eyes which leaves the bolt to carry alot of stress. I would not feel comfortable loading people or cargo in the RV as the added weight might cause the bolt to break. What i want to do to correct this is install poly bushing. I will also install new shocks at the same time and add leaf assists as i see PAGER has done on his rig. Also possibly a beefer shackle. I found a set of shackles online that are 1.5" lift with a heavy center support.

All of this jabbering leads up to my real question. How do i order the correct bushings? That is to say, are the leaf springs on these motorhomes stock toyota? All of the listings for poly bushings ive found online seem to cover all of the pickup models ,2wd, 4wd, DX, etc, etc. Is there anyway to know for sure?, like spring eye diameter or something.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who knows or has some good ideas. Thanks in advance.

I got a set for a 2wd pick from Rancho. Everything fit except the front bushings. I called them and they sent me the correct one for free.

WME

Hey there guys,

I also have wondered if I need to replace the bushings on my leaf springs. I went to AutoZone and they had a set instock for the 2wd toyota. But, not sure about motorhome.

My bushings are (appear to me) in good shape. No wigglin' or wallerin' as we say. BUT, HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED TO REPLACE THEM?

I have attached a pic that shows the back of the leafspring and if you look at the edges, the rubber bushing has "squeezed" out the side and has detached a little, or been cut off.

QUESTIONS . . .

HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED TO REPLACE THEM?

WHAT ARE THE CORRECT PART NUMBERS FOR THE REPLACEMENTS?

ARE THE RUBBER ONES BETTER THAN ANOTHER TYPE?

Most importantly,

WHAT ARE THE PROCEDURES TO REPLACING THEM?

Thanks as always and good to know your still out there "lostinbama"

Pager

86 Dolphin - Arkansas

post-1069-1204566562_thumb.jpg

Jack up the Toy, put jack stands under the frame. Put a jack under the axle, remove the shackle bolts and lower the axle. Then look at your bushings, I'll bet you gave wallered out holes. If so you need to replace them. NAPA and Toyota have "stock" bushings and you can order HD poly one at most auto parts places.

wmE

Hey pager,

Looking at your bushings id say they need replacing. Installing poly bushings should'nt be a big hassel because they come in 2 pieces. Removing the old ones could be a pain , unless their really chewed up ,because the stock rubber is pressed into the spring eye hole. Thats why installing factory style rubber is tough cause its gotta be pressed in. The poly ones just slip in on either side of the eye. The poly bushings also come with a bolt that allows you to grease the bushings. Im talking like ive done this. I havent. Ive got an old IH scout that i bought new poly bushings and shackles for and have looked at how to do it but havent got around to it. Its on my ever growing to do list. If my take on this installation process is way off, please someone, correct my thinking,

I have always purchased my suspension "bits" from Downey Off road. Been dealing with them for about 20 years now and never had any problems.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionCo...ts/1979-95.html

They make a killer set of replacement shackles that you may want to consider when you order bushings. They come in different lengths so if you need to add a few more inches to make everything level this is one way to go.

Checked out downey. Looks good. Im gonna go ahead and order from them. I have a question about where to place my jack stands when begining this job. Forward of the leaf spring seems like it would be to much. Im using large 5 ton stands. Rear of the spring there is only a short section of stock frame before a frame extension added by the coach builder, and this extension doesnt look like it could support the weight. Anyone whose done any rear axle work, i would appreciate your input. Thanks, bama.

Forward of the springs on the frame is the only place to put them, the rear extensions wern't designed to hold 6000lb

Checked out downey. Looks good. Im gonna go ahead and order from them. I have a question about where to place my jack stands when begining this job. Forward of the leaf spring seems like it would be to much. Im using large 5 ton stands. Rear of the spring there is only a short section of stock frame before a frame extension added by the coach builder, and this extension doesnt look like it could support the weight. Anyone whose done any rear axle work, i would appreciate your input. Thanks, bama.

When I put in the extra ride spring in the Sunrader I put the stands in front of the spring mount BUT the weight of the coach was too much in my estimation as it bowed enough where the door stuck. When I put it back down everything went back in place but I was not happy with the frame flex.

I did both sides at once but if you do one side at a time you may not experience this. I was already committed with both springs apart before I noticed the problem. Next time I will do one side at a time and put stands at the front and rear.

I did not do busings at that time because I was out in California (where I purchased it) and to get the bolts out the propane tank and black water tank had to be removed so I figured that I would wait till I got home before doing more.

Sunrader only has 30k miles so busings are still good. I like the stiffness of the Downey busings and have them in the diesel (front and rear).

Bushings are on the way from Downey. I also ordered the 1.5" shackles. I got to thinking after the order that if i use the longer shackles that i will need longer shocks. I see that someone said they used Rancho 5000's. I believe that Ranchos have longer travel, from 0" to 2" of lift. Has anyone else used longer shackles to gain rear clearance? I have also looked at some RV helper springs that are rated 2000lbs and am considering those. I am not trying to increase payload as much as i want to level rig and stiffen the ride. Any thoughts are appreciated. thanks

Any added spring will make it ride stiffer. Airbags give the most lift for the least increase in harshness, but even then it will be stiffer..

The only way to get lift and soft ride is with a spring that is longer and has more arch, but the same deflection rate.

Hey guys, here is my start to replacing my leaf spring bushings.

First I had to remove my leaf assist bars. Next I placed my small hydrolic jack between the leaf spring and the frame to relieve pressure between the two. Nuts had to be sprayed to be loosened. I then had to place a block of wood over the bolt ends to drive them out with a hammer. BE CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE END OF THE BOLT WITH A HAMMER. You will mess up the ends and the threads. This will keep you from having to buy new bolts. Then I took the rubber bushings out.

LostinBama, you were right - they need to be replaced! see pics.

I took the bolts and brackets and steel wooled them to clean them up. There were lots of "gunk" on them. I have located replacement bushings on the internet but not at my local auto parts store.

I will follow up with the complete repair pics later.

Thanks,

Kevin - 86 Dolphin

Arkansas

post-1069-1205100791_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205100856_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205100922_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205101063_thumb.jpg

Hey pager,

Man, i dig your enthusiasum. You dont hesitate to tackle a job.

My stuff came from Downey today. I will try to get a start on it tommorow. Working the dreaded midnights slows things a bit. Im off this weekend and weather permitting i can hopefully get this knocked out. Still need to decide on shocks. I will try to post pics of the Downey parts and the install process. Later, Bama.

Hey there lostinbama,

My bushings have not come in yet. Probably Friday or Sat. $31.00 inc shipping.

Here is what I ordered. From an ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Foothill-Offroad

35_2.JPG

TOYOTA TRUCK REAR LEAF SPRING BUSHING KIT

1984-1988 PICK-UP TRUCKS ONLY

This is an Energy Suspension polyurethane rear leaf spring bushing kit used to replace your worn out spring bushings.

Kit includes:

• 4 large polyurethane bushings
  • 8 small bushings
  • 2 sleeves
  • 2 grease packets
  • instructions

Here’s what Energy Suspension says about their product:

• Polyurethane allows suspensions to work positively 100% of the time…giving the driver that “in control “ feeling
  • Soft enough for a smooth ride yet firm enough for the demanding driver
  • Makes a dramatic improvement in vehicle handling
  • Maintains proper suspension geometry throughout its travel
  • Each component is designed and formulated for its specific application (different firmness and strength properties for various applications)
  • Will not rot or deteriorate from atmospheric conditions such as smog, ozone, road salts etc.
  • Impervious to gas, oils and other petroleum products
  • The most asked for name in performance polyurethane components

Will post pics when starting and finished project pics.

My next item to look at is the stabelizer shock/bar on the front. How do I know if it needs replaced?

Talk to you later,

Pager

Arkansas

Hey there,

Finished the replacement of the leaf spring bushings.

Total replacement cost = $32.00 bushings

Total Hours Labor = @3.5

here are the pics shoing the item, the repaired driver side spring bushing, the before driver side spring bushing, the passenger side repaired bushing.

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1205588664_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205588734_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205588829_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205588888_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205589566_thumb.jpg

Hey pager,

See got right to the job. Looks good. Have you taken it for a test run yet? Ive started work on mine. Did your bushing kit come with 8 small and 4 larger bushings? Mine did. I dont think that its correct, because the larger bushings dont fit anywhere. The kit also came with 2 sleeves that dont seem to fit anywhere. The heavy shackles i got from Downey fit well and i think should really help with stability. Will try to post pics when im done. Im headed to the parts store now to see if i can get 4 of the smaller bushings. Later,Bama.

Hey there lostinbama2x

I also received 4 extra large bushings and 2 brass sleeves. I am assuming they are for a different year model since my oreder was for 81 to 86 model pick-up.

I took the front bushings out and cleaned them. They were still like new. No wear or cracking - very pliable, so i cleaned the shackle bolts and reused the bushings.

Just got back from the test run to the gas station and to the auto parts store where the guys could see the finished project.

ONLY PROBLEM: because of new bushings, shocks, leaf spring assist bars, air bags at correct inflate, and correct tire pressure - I NOW HAVE MORE SQUEEKS!

I guess its ok since I now have a reliable vehicle - Family approved!

Thanks for the Help and Advice - Its greatly appreciated.

Pager

Arkansas